Due to the fact that I just bought a nice new white bento for my mother, I didn't want the red pickled cabbage to totally stain the inside of the box, so I wrapped the inside of that compartment with saran wrap. It worked perfectly, left no stain, and clean up was really easy for her when she was done. Here is what the saran wrapped compartment looked like:
Below is what the Jim's bento looked like (and my entry for the contest).
The main lunch box contained:
• 1 Weisswurst (with parsley) sausage &
• 1 Bratwurst sausage nestled in a bed of
• Hot German potato salad (recipe can be found at Tasty Planner)
The secondary box contained:
• Pickled red cabbage next to
• Pickled beets
• Cucumber salad is kept away from the beets with a devider
• Spicy mustard for the sausage is found in the little sauce container
I also slid a German inspired dessert under the main boxes lid:
• 2 squares of Belgian milk chocolate
• 1 slice of Schlunder Cappuccino Liqueur Cake
• 1 Mandelgeback mit Cremefullung (an almond cookie with cream filling)
Most of the German fare (including the sausage) was purchased at my local German market called Muller's. It includes a large inventory of imported German products, including deli meats, sausages, breads, canned goods, Spaetzle, etc. Some baked goods are provided by another chef.
It's not the most beautiful box, but it is very German in spirit. Sausage tossed on a bed of potatoes with a bacon dressing; pickled vegetables and spicy mustard; and what German lunch would be complete without a few sweets! By they way, here is my mother's bento box. It is very simple, but it included all she wanted.